A PATH Intl. Equine Specialist in Mental Health and Learning (ESMHL) ensures the safety and well-being of the equine participating in equine-facilitated mental health and education sessions. She/he serves as the equine expert during equine/human interactions. The ESMHL works with mental health or education providers delivering services, incorporating equines in their practice, within the scope of their profession. An ESMHL must be knowledgeable in horsemanship and understand how to work with a mental health therapist and/or educator to best meet the client’s needs and keep the lesson safe. ESMHLs also have a general knowledge of mental health and education processes.
This three-day workshop provides specialized training for equestrians who are interested in equine facilitated mental health and education programs. This workshop will be taught by some of the most experienced people in the field of equine-facilitated mental health and learning and will give the participants a chance to see what is current in the field. Each course will be team taught by an Equine Specialist/PATH Intl. Certified Therapeutic Riding Instructor in collaboration with a mental health professional working with several equines.
Focus of Training:
- The specific role of the Equine Specialist when assisting or collaborating with human service providers.
- Designing safe, mutually beneficial and effective activities to enhance participant outcomes.
- Determining specific horse handling methods.
- Understanding students with mental health and/or learning issues.
- Assessing the horse’s response to student behaviors and needs.
Training is designed for:
- Equine Professionals
- Therapeutic Riding Instructors
- Those who wish to enhance their ability to work with mental health and education professionals and their clients.
Practical Horsemanship Skills Test:
Testing is one day and is a part of the application phase of achieving PATH Int’l Equine Specialist in Mental Health and Learning status. The information below provides a roadmap of the process.
STEPS TO CERTIFICATION:
Step 1: Application Phase
Complete an on-site Equine Specialist in Mental Health and Learning Workshop and Horsemanship Skills Test at a PATH Intl. Premier Accredited Center. The criteria to register for an on-site Equine Specialist in Mental Health and Learning Workshop and Horsemanship Skills Test are:
- 21 years of age or older
- Current PATH Intl. member
- Current Adult & Child CPR and First Aid certifications (100% online CPR and First Aid courses will not be accepted. Blended courses are acceptable.)
Step 2: Portfolio Submission
Following completion of an on-site Equine Specialist in Mental Health and Learning Workshop and the Horsemanship Skills Test, candidates may submit their certification application and portfolio to the PATH Intl. office. (See PATH Intl. Equine Specialist in Mental Health and Learning Certification Booklet for more details.)
Step 3: Online Exams
Complete online Standards Course and Equine Specialist in Mental Health and Learning exams. Exam enrollment occurs after receipt of complete portfolio by PATH Intl.